While the importance of unstructured, natural play environments has been identified as key for healthy child development, structured playgrounds still provide opportunities for children to play outside on school grounds and in community parks. With a few simple precautions, most serious playground injuries can be prevented.
- Each year, 1,750 children aged 5 to 14 years are treated for playground injuries in emergency departments across Alberta.
- Playground injuries cost Albertans $25 million in 2013.
- Never wear a helmet on playground equipment.
- Dress for the equipment - proper footwear, no loose scarves.
- Play on age-appropriate equipment.
- Ensure playground equipment and protective surfaces are free of hazards.
Visit our other related injury issues for more information: